I realize January is already half over but it's never to late for a yearly recap :)
2015 is over and I gotta say, I'm not sad about it!
Last year was by far my hardest year yet. Lots of really great and exciting things but also lots of big and scary things, lots of stress, and lots of disappointment.
First the highlights:
1. We started the year on the east coast! Our trip to Halifax was amazing. We loved seeing where Bruce & Lydia are raising their family and getting to know their kiddos (and now where Beth and Mark live too!).
2. 2015 was definitely the year of trips because in February we made our way to Orlando with David's family. We celebrated David's parents 25th wedding anniversary with a trip to Disney World. My first time at Disney did not disappoint and we made lots of great memories.
3. The BIGGEST trip we took was in May, we journeyed across town, with all of our belongings, to our new house! We spent the first half of the year putting the finishing touches on everything and the second half of the year getting settled in. And now, at the end of the year we aaaalllmost have all of our boxes unpacked. My favourite part of the house has been all the windows! I can see the sky and the beautiful view from almost anywhere in the house.
4. We got a puppy! Boeing the Basset Hound joined our family in August. She's challenged us in a lot of ways (house training, sleeping through the night, a nasty intestinal bug that scared us to death) but she's also brought a lot of joy and laughter. I love cuddling with her on the couch and she seriously is the best comic relief when things get tense.
I was going to list the things that didn't go so great this year but I changed my mind. Sure, lots of things didn't go my way in 2015 but I'm going to focus on the good things because 2016 is a brand new year and it can only get better from here! right?
Also, I'm going to post my list of goals for the year because a little bit of internet accountability never hurt anyone!
- Establish a morning routine. Right now my mornings consist of waking up as late as possible, downing a cup of coffee and rushing out the door. In 2016 I want to wake up with enough time to take the dog for a walk, drink my coffee slowly, and do some morning devotions. I'm 18 days in to January and have been failing miserably but luckily tomorrow is a new day with a new morning and I'm going to try to get out of bed before 8!
- Make dinner once a week. Like a reeeaaal dinner, like not frozen pizza, grilled cheese, or macaroni! This is going to be a tough one because cooking is NOT my favourite thing. But real dinners mean healthy food and that's something that I should be making a priority. One step at a time.
- Walk 50,000 steps a week. I got my fitbit in August and it's shown my how inactive I really am. They recommend getting 10,000 steps a day but since my job involves sitting at a desk for 7 hours a day that really isn't possible. 50,000 will be a challenge but it is actually attainable so if you want to go for walks give me a call!
- Get earthquake prepared. The earthquake we had a few weeks ago got me kind of freaked out (even though I didn't even feel it). We have no plan or supplies if a big earthquake happened. So, I ordered this kit from the Red Cross and I'm going to get together copies of our documents and some food and water. I'm thinking about putting together mini kits for our cars as well.
- Knit a pair of socks. This has been on my goal list for forever! I bought the yarn last Christmas when we were in Halifax so I'm hoping by next Christmas I can get them done! I've been practicing my circular knitting by knitting a ton of little toques for my nieces and nephews. I'm really loving it.
- Organize my files. Pretty self-explanatory. This really need to get done. Hopefully me and David can divide and conquer on this one.
- Make photobooks. I'd like to catch up on the last few years but mostly I want to start now. I made a private instagram account to post pictures on and I'm going to print books (using Chatbooks) once I get a bunch. I'm thinking this should be easy enough that I'll actually do it. So far I've posted about 40 photos since October so I should have my first book done soon. I'm excited for this one!
And that's it! What are your goals for the year? Need an accountability partner? I'm hoping by posting my goals here I'll have a bit more motivation to stick to them.
Hope you all are doing well!